Charities – where would we be without them? The Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission has just released the Australian Charities Report 2016, featuring the annual reporting data from more than 52,000 registered charities across the nation.
Here’s a little snapshot to get you thinking:
- Charities had a combined total revenue of over $142.8 billion
- $10.5 billion of revenue came from donations and bequests
- Charities spent $137.1 billion pursuing their charitable purpose
- Small charities ($250,000 or less) make up the bulk of the sector at 67%
- 1.3 million, or 10.6% of Australia’s workforce are employed by the charity sector
- 2.9 million is the number of volunteers supporting Australian charities.
- 1 in 2 charities operate with no paid staff.