An Accidental Counsellor is anyone who is not necessarily employed as a counsellor, however finds themselves in a counselling role. You could be a frontline worker in an administrative role, a nurse, teacher, coach, support worker or complimentary health practitioner. In this workshop you will learn a practical counselling framework for effective client support with opportunities to practice your new skills in a safe, supportive environment.
What you will learn:
• How to listen effectively and help clients clarify their problems
• How to direct questions so the client can identify possible solutions
• How to create healthy boundaries to avoid burnout
• The value of mindfulness and breathing techniques to reduce anxiety
• How to help clients challenge their negative self-talk and create a more positive outlook
• Assist clients to set goals and consider new possibilities; and
• When to refer clients on.
This unit is assessed against the following unit of competency: FSKLRG04 Use basic strategies for work related learning.
This workshop is delivered by specialist trainer Claire Leach. She is a highly credentialed community services practitioner who has more than twenty years’ experience in mental health, disability, child protection and out of home care. Claire’s care career spans roles in government, private sector and not for profit organisations.
Available in Casino, Lismore. see below for details